At some time in our lives, we are each called upon to answer a special need or challenge. Whether the task is large or small – what matters most is our willingness to say “yes!” What follows that simple word and generous reply is most often a miraculous outcome that makes a difference for another person or even a whole community. Nothing models this more than the example of Mary, Mother of the World.
In the midst of these very challenging times, we see so many examples of generous and willing hearts! To name a few:
- the Sisters of Notre Dame who have prepared us for this moment by challenging us all to have ‘hearts as wide as the world’ not only in our thoughts but in our actions,
- our teachers, staff and administrators and who have spent countless hours dedicated to creating and delivering an effective remote learning experience,
- students and parents who have embraced this new remote learning model with trust, meaningful engagement and encouragement,
- healthcare workers putting their own lives at risk in caring for so many in our community, and
- government officials making difficult decisions to provide safety for all of our community members in the face of incredible odds.
As we celebrate the Feast of the Annunciation, let us give thanks not only for the miraculous gift of Mary’s “yes”, but also the many ways that members of our community continue to say yes to the challenges placed before us all. In doing so, we will not only come through all of this, but be much better for having done so with grace, compassion and fortitude.
A prayer we say every day at NDA:
Hail Mary full of Grace, the Lord is with you.
Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.
Holy Mary Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.
Please share a story of someone who has said “yes” and made a difference in your family or community.